To find benign brain, spine, eye and ear tumours early, people with VHL should have:
- checks every year from age 2 years. This involves having an appointment with a specialist doctor (an ophthalmologist).
- a hearing check before they start school.
- regular brain and spine checks from age 12 years. This involves having a MRI scan of the brain and spine.
- any new lumps, pain, numbness or changes in vision, hearing or balance checked by a doctor.
- To find kidney cancer early, people with VHL should have their kidneys screened regularly from age 12 years. This involves having an abdominal MRI scan (or sometimes an abdominal ultrasound).
To find phaeochromocytoma early, people with VHL should be screened every year from age 2 years. This involves having a blood test to measure hormone levels and a blood pressure check by a doctor.