At present there are no registered antidotes to overdose, however studies have shown that uridine triacetate (formerly known as vistonuridine) may be effective.r
Uridine triacetate can be obtained from Wellstat Therapeutics (USA) via the Special Access Scheme (SAS).
Wellstat Emergency Number: (0011)-1-800-914-0071 (from Australia)
Some administration points:
- Uridine triacetate is available as an orange flavoured sprinkle powder and it is administered orally.
- Uridine triacetate should be commenced as soon as possible after overdose (8 to 96 hours).
- A 5HT3 antagonist administered 30 minutes prior to the dose of uridine triacetate helps to ensure that it is retained and not vomited.
- Mixing uridine triacetate with pudding, apple puree etc. helps counteract the bitterness of the drug.
- Drug binders (e.g. cholestyramine) may bind to uridine triacetate and should be temporarily discontinued.
Detailed dosing instructions are provided by the company when a patient is enrolled into treatment.